About

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repeat…


Green has joined the main stream. One can hardly escape from hearing about some way we can help save the planet from impending doom, whether it is heard at an event, on television, at school, in the paper…wherever. Mostly, we get a lot of “change your light bulbs to CFL’s,” “inflate your tires,” “recycle,” “drive less,” and the like. These are all wonderful suggestions and everyone should do them, but is there more we can do? Are we just dabbling at the surface of sustainable living? And is it asking too much to do more? (If we’re talking about impeding doom…I don’t think most things would be too much to ask.)

I know that it is very hard to change habits and mindsets that we may have carried with us from generation to generation (though not too far back in some cases). We’re used to eating strawberries in the winter if we wish it (regardless of the gas used and carbon emitted to travel from some warm country to our cold state). We use vast amounts of water to grow green squares of lawn even though we’re in the dessert (high though it may be), are in a drought, and are scarce on water – a most precious resource! (Yes I have a patch of grass as well – I told you the mind is hard to change!)

The point is, these little things like recycling and such are small, and yet, many people have a hard enough time just changing out their light bulbs; so how can we ask for even more? Or more precisely, how can we ignite the change in people to do the smaller things AND the bigger ones?

So, what are you doing to reduce your ecological footprint (I want the “small” and the big)? What has worked for you in encouraging others to make more eco-conscious choices? What can we do in our own hometowns – what services can we provide? And last, what more can we ask of ourselves? Join the discussion and spread the word!
© 2007 SegoLily

2 comments:

Kari said...

I have to admit, I'm horrible at green living. I don't want to be a detriment to our environment, but I totally agree with you that it's hard to change people's mindsets, habits, and behaviors.

I think that taking small steps is key in starting out. I recycle my newspapers and try to car pool with others (usually family members) if we're all going to the same place, but honestly that's about it. I live right by a Trax station (Trax is a commuter rail train that goes from Sandy all the way to downtown SLC with plenty of stops in between) and I want to use it more, but am totally dependant on my car. Adam and I are going to ride it this weekend though because- A.) it's kinda fun, B.) it's free to where we're going and c.) we can easily walk to the station in like 5 minutes and I LOVE walking.

Sorry that's not much! I'd love to hear what others are doing, small or large, to help give me ideas on ways I can be better too.

Unknown said...

Okay, 3rd time I've tried to post a comment, but I rarely pay enough attention, I guess, & it never posts. As I tried to say before, most of the 'green' steps I take, have been urged by Paige, though I fully believe in taking care of the planet. One of the green things I really like is my compost. Since I have been canning lately, I have been able to add some great gooey stuff.

For the next harvest season, I think it would be a great idea if SegoLily would complile a list of produce stands and farmers who sell out of their fields complete with addresses, phone #'s and maybe even a map.

Well, I hear the apple butter bubbling out of the pot, so I'd better go stir it down again.